my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Thursday 23 May 2013

Flower Show Quintiles

The theme for the Quintile swap at Chocolate Baroque this month is The Chelsea Flower Show. My first thought was, Oh good a nice easy one but in fact  I really struggled to get them made in time, my first two attempts finished in the bin. I have never been to the flower show but I have seen bits of it on TV and love flowers of all kinds but the picture I had in my head just wouldn't transfer to the card. In the end I changed my idea altogether and went for a simpler design and used the fact that the show is celebrating it's 100th anniversary this year. I decided to use the same design for both but using different colour schemes. I started by covering the card with paper from Crafty Individuals Spring book and then brushed Brilliance Pearlescent Beige ink through a Crafters Workshop stencil.This is a round doily type design and I thought the little motifs were flowers until I noticed the title on the package is Mini flying Birds, which on taking a closer look I suppose they are but I still think they look quite flowery too.Then I used distress inks to shade the edges in colours to match the flowers I was going to use.The little trellis panel is a Memory Box die, and the mini roses are made with a Britania die, cut out from white paper and coloured with Promarkers as per the video tutorial on the Johanna Sheen website, The leaves are part of a CB stamp coloured with pencils and fussy cut out.The daisy flowers are coloured with distress markers adding a bit more colour with a pencil on the pink ones, then cut out, and the leaves are cut from patterned paper with a Marianne die.I fixed these with a large glue dot in the centre of each flower and when I went back to them in the morning the edges had curled up a little so I tucked some silicone glue under them as they looked better with a little more dimension.
I printed the title on the computer and cut out with a Spellbinder labels die set, I can't remember which number it is.I mounted it onto dark green shiny card cut with next size up die and fixed to to the card.

Thank you for looking and for your comments which are all appreciated.







4 comments:

  1. These are lovely Jean. I think I prefer the yellow daisies. You've lost me on the flyng birds but I'll take your word for it - definitely more like flowers! I do love the trellis die. I'm so glad I managed to get one of those. I just know I shall enjoy using it. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very chelsea flower show indeed Jean, I love them both.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are rather splendid & I love your use of the little trellis of flowers to embellish the stamped ones to the right. Your addition of those stamped leaves on the trellis is quite delightful too & I really couldn't decided between the two colour ways. The use of gold to edge the plaques is a lovely touch & I have to agree that those birds definitely look like flowers!
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean, I hope you are well. These are really beautiful, I love the summery colours, and the stencilling over the dp looks really nice. Those little roses are gorgeous! I didn't realise you'd handmade them when I first looked, but they look lovely on the trellis panel.

    I'm sorry I've not been round lately, I'm playing catch-up at the moment.

    Take care

    Maria xxxxx

    ReplyDelete