my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Thursday 25 April 2013

Christmas Trees

Well Hi there after not posting anything here for a month I am now back with a second blog in three days, Inconsistent or what?!!!  Some of you may remember that back at the start of the year I declared my intention to take part in the Christmas card group at Chocolate Baroque where one of our members had suggested some themes for us to use each month if we wanted to. The idea being that if we made a few cards each month it would save us from having a rush to get them all done in December. This is a new concept  for me as mine are usually made in a mad couple of weeks. Anyway after blogging my January cards I haven't got around to putting any more on here although I have made at least two cards each month and earlier this month I made three, the theme for this month being Trees. Finding myself with a little spare time this week (spare time?!!) I decided to make a couple more, and as today is still just about the 25th  I am going to show them for Rudolph's day on Sarn's blog Stamping For Pleasure.

 For this one I used Chocolate Baroque Stamps from the Frosty Trees and Christmas Cheer plates.First I stamped the tree with Versamark and embossed with WOW silver EP onto purple card and then used a gold gel pen to highlight the little stars adding a dot of yellow Stickles in the centre of each one.I the edged the piece with a silver Krylon pen. The holly flourishes were stamped onto the base card with Memento elderberry ink and the dots highlighted with silver Stickles. I wrapped the silver ribbon round the card and fixed the purple panel over it and then added the silver bow.


For the second card I used more traditional colours,staring by stamping the holly background from the CB Holly Flourish plate onto green card with Versamark and embossed with WOW Brass Sparkle EP. The tree is from the CB Stained Glass Christmas plate and I stamped it in Versafine olympia green ink. The star is stamped and embossed with the sparkle EP. I coloured around the star and the pot with  distress markers, and  trimmed the edges using shaped scissors to cut the corners, and then used Distress Inks scattered straw and fired brick to add some shading. I mounted this onto red card and cut a label for the greeting with a Memory Box die to match. I stuck the two panels together using double sided tape and fixed the greeting with gold brads and some thin foam pads, and then fixed the complete panel to the folded card and used coloured Stickles to decorate the tree.

Thank you for looking and for you kind comments I really appreciate them.

Jean

9 comments:

  1. Well done. You made it! Both lovely cards. Normally I go for the traditional colours but I think I like the purple one best this time. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you used both gold & silver on your first with that lovely purple. The second is superbly unusual with your placing of the sentiment - super with it extending across both panels & into the white space & I love your coloured balls on the tree plus the glowing star.
    Not sure that time is 'spare' - don't think that appears in my vocabulary except in the meaning of 'scarce'
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Jean . . . thank you for joining in with Rudolph Day for the first (but hopefully not the last!) time. You've made two wonderful and very contrasting festive tree cards here. Brilliant!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards, I love your colour choice as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jean,
    So happy to see you blogging...
    Both these cards are so rich. I like the stylish layout of the first with a super cute bow. The second one shines with the richness of it's paper. So luxurious!
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fabulous cards, love both the tree stamps and the colourways you have used on both of them

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great card...Love the tree on both of them...the little baubles on the 2nd one are so pretty.

    The holly used as both a bottom edge and corner edge are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are lovely Jean, I love the tree stamps, and the colours are gorgeous, the purple and silver is a beautiful combination for Xmas.

    Take care

    Maria xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful card, Jean!!
    I do so love your blog have been peeping around the corners and checking out your posts - and have joined it to encourage you - do hope you will pop back to my blog to and encourage me by joining it..

    .. and have recipe for texture paste today and link to my previous recipe on how to make an embossing buddy/ anti-static pad!

    I have made myself half a dozen they are so great. love Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete