my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Monday 4 June 2012

Beside The Seaside

It was my brother in laws birthday this weekend and this is the card that I made for him.I wanted to use this beach hut stamp from Crafty Individuals, and I started by stamping it onto a spare piece of card. I coloured the huts  fairly loosely using distress inks and a water brush  as I wanted them to have a slightly shabby worn look .I highlighted the fascias with a white pigment pen.There are lots of the very similar ones to this along the beach fronts close to were we live, and I thought it would be fun to use them on his card.I used a paper from Crafty Individuals The Seaside paper book, choosing this one featuring a pier as we also have two of those on our stretch of coast. I cut it to size and stuck it to my card. There are some figures carrying surf boards on the paper too, but I thought they  were surplus to my needs and so I decided  that when I had cut out the beach huts  that's where they would go. The trouble is they then looked as if they were floating in the sea, so I  tore the shell border from another paper from the book and stuck it to the bottom of the card to ground them. I stamped two more shells onto the patterned paper and added a little more colour with coloursoft pencils and then glued them to the border with silicon glue.The greeting was also stamped on the same paper and cut out closely and edged with black ink and fixed to the corner. To finish off I stamped some seagulls from the same Crafty Individuals set with black ink and and used the white pen again to add some highlights.I had fun making this one and I think my brother in law enjoyed receiving it.
I am entering this at, Make It Monday; Anything Goes.
 DRS Designs Challenge;Signs of Summer
Simon Says Stamp; Anything Goes
Thank you for taking the time to take a look, and for your much appreciated kind comments.

12 comments:

  1. Wouu, really love this little houses on the beach. And such a great colors, they really pop out.

    Saw you at Make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, This is a great card with lots of interest. Love the way the little beach huts seem to sit on the shore.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Jean. I feel that I am there. I spotted you on MIM this time.

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super thinking with the grounding of the huts - love the effect of those shells & the pier. I like the way the papers are soft & your colouring brighte, but not overwhelmingly so, & those gel pen highlights are terrific.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your row of beach huts! This is a lovely summer card! Thanks for playing at DRS Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card :) Saw it on MIm and stopped by for a closer look

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely scenic card. I am sure your brother-in-law will love it. I live on a small island near the sea and the little beach huts remind me of the colourful ones we have on our beach.I spotted your card on the Make it Monday blog and popped over to say hi.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spotted your beautiful card on MIM. I really love all the elements on this card, and you have put them so nicely together. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jean. I have just spotted this on Make it Monday. Don't know how I missed your original post. i love your colourful row of little beach huts. It reminds me of those lovely ones we say along Bournemouth beach on my visit last year. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgoeus card and i love that beach hut stamp! saw it on mim x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How create - very lovely.
    Thank for joining us this week and good luck!
    Don't forget to check back on my blog next week to see if you made my Pick Of The Week!

    Smiles -  Krafty Karen - DT for Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jean I saw you on MIM, love this summery card, we could do with some sunshine soon!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete